After my article about the hiphop webtoon ‘Move The Crowd’, you all showed great interest in an English version of it, so I asked the production team if I could translate it but was unfortunately turned down (the team needs the clicks on their webtoon so that it has a bigger chance of becoming an official Naver webtoon, which is why having another version of it out there would obviously be counterproductive). Therefore, I will from now on at least summarize for you what happens in each chapter, who makes a cameo, and what else there is to look out for.
The first chapter introduces the webtoon’s main character, Park Doosik (박두식) aka 2SIK. He was born in Seoul but moved to the US (New York) at the age of 12 with his mother, where he did not take up only legal jobs to survive. Now, ten years later, he returns to Korea with nothing but 10,000 won. However, he is certain that he will be able to make money with his dope rap skills.
In Seoul, he clashes with So Sung-gi aka Skratch, another main character who is officially introduced by name in the second chapter. They end up fighting because Scratch accidentally kicks 2SIK’s shoe. The two split up when the police arrives.
2SIK then heads for Hongdae where he spots a girl with long blond hair in the crowd who draws his interest. The crowd stands around two rappers, one of them is Song Siwon aka SHYONE, another main character, and the other one is Sool J. To impress the girl, 2SIK steps forward and raps, earning applause from the crowd. But just when he wants to go get her number, SHYONE and Sool J come up to him ..
- Sool J (Twitter)
- The lyrics which Sool J ‘raps’ in this chapter were exclusively written for the webtoon by Sool J himself.
- Sool J, SHYONE and 2SIK’s lyrics are full of wordplays and puns.
- Doosik has his rap name tattooed on his left arm, he smokes and is right-handed. He has at least one more tattoo but it hasn’t been fully visible yet.
- Scratch has a tattoo of a tiger on his left upper arm, an animal that has long been associated with South Korea, as well as this tattoo of two clown masks (one cries, the other smiles wickedly) on his right upper arm, which mean “Laugh now, cry later.”
- When he sees the girl with the long blond hair, SIK2 goes ‘Head, shoulders, knees, feet, swag check, swag check” which are lyrics from G-Dragon’s ‘Crayon’.
- SHYONE is so shy, his eyes are covered by his snapback and cannot be seen throughout the whole episode.
- Incheon Airport, Seoul Station, and the Hongdae subway station exit 2 are exactly portrayed.